Thursday, July 7, 2011

Why wait?

So the countdown is on...in less than 24 hours, I will be done with my job here in Wilmington. It seems a little surreal because it isn't over quite yet. However I had to say goodbye to a few coworkers today since they don't work on Fridays. It's so weird to say goodbye to some of these people because for the past year and a half I see them almost every day for about 9 hours. I know a lot about them and about their lives. It's not the same as saying goodbye to a friend or family member because more than likely you'll keep in touch with them or at least see what's going on in their lives via facebook. But it's not the same in this case. A lot of these people I will never see again.

I have been looking forward to the next step in our journey for sometime now and it's been hard to not get ahead of myself. I have had to fight a big fight in order to ensure that I live in the present each day. But knowing that I was leaving sometime in July has got me thinking the past few weeks/months of work. I have been questioning myself...Have I made an impact for the Kingdom at my work? Have I been bold for the cause of Christ? Have I shared the gospel with my words and actions? etc. Then all of the sudden, I felt as if I were running out of time. This made me be more conscientious of opportunities and conversations.

I like to think that I constantly look for opportunities to share the gospel and that I've been bold for Christ. Yet, I feel like the past few weeks I have had so many spiritual conversations with my coworkers and had even instances where I can share the complete story of redemption. I have been praying more and more about specific people and looking for times to share with them, as I feel that time is slipping away from me.

This has given me a WAKE UP call. I prayed every day for an opportunity to share the gospel at work in a situation that I thought impossible. I asked others to come alongside and pray with me. I asked a few people to hold me accountable. I begin to let the idea to share about Christ consume me every time I saw this person.    And guess what...God answered my prayer. I know this doesn't seem like that big of a deal but oftentimes even when we say we're praying for something, we still have doubt. We don't truly believe that this thing could ever happen. I would never directly say that I believe that something is impossible for God. But does my prayer life reflect that? Do my actions reflect that?

Even though this particular person did not accept Jesus Christ as his Savior and Lord, the seed has been planted. I felt like I just mumbled a bunch of stuff and I feel like I didn't do a good job of sharing but it's not about me. It's not about my words. It's about a divine revelation. God's Word will not return void.

Why didn't I get on my knees and pray for these chances from day one? Why do we so often let opportunities to share the greatest story of all times just slip out of our hands? We often feel sorry for people who have no hope yet were not willing to die to ourselves and feel uncomfortable or be rebuked for our beliefs. God has been convicting me of this over these last few weeks of work and I want my actions to change. I don't want to look back on any time in my life and  think man did I miss it. As believers, we are called to action. We are called to proclaim the gospel to all nations. Let's start with our neighbor, our coworker, our community. Let's start now.

1 comment: